DDC Hermes: what is its contribution?
A few months ago I replaced my old DAC with a Holo Audio which I am very satisfied with but I was aware of the quality problem of the USB connection. After some research on the internet I decided on the DDC Hermes which allowed among other things the I2S connection, which from what I have read would be the best solution currently.
After a few days of running in the I2S cable, the result is really very impressive (PCM and DSD):
slightly larger image
bass: impression of lower frequency descent but no saturation
more detailed voice
treble with more micro details
more precise instrument and voice localization.
no hearing fatigue felt even at higher volume.
Impression that the sound occupies all the space behind the speakers.
- Room acoustics: absorbent panels and diffusers (not very stylish but very effective).
- Power supply: Block balun transformer 240/400 V to 2x115 V and filtering of each connected device.
- DDC: Denafrips Hermes
- DAC: Holo Audio Spring 3 Kitsune. (I2S link with DDC and XLR with preamp)
- Streamer: SoTM SP-500 + SMS-200 Neo USB link to DDC) and Squeezebox Classic V3 (coax link to DDC)
- Preamp: Vincent SA-T8
- Amplifier: Sony 3200 F
- Speakers: Klipsch Cornwall III
- NAS: QNAP TS-453B + 2nd Ubuntu OS with LMS server
- Platinum: Pioneer PL-510 + Lehmann Black Cube
- Cassette Deck: Nakamichi 581.
- TV: LG OLED55C8PLA
- Samsung A6 tablet: Squeezer application for music management.
I also connected my TV optically to the DDC and the Squeezebox to coax. There also gain in quality.
I had to install a motorized stand for the TV because it obscures a large part of the window.
As the days go by, I have the impression that everything is not smoothed out yet and that the rendering continues to improve (installed for 10 days).
In conclusion, I would say that the DDC Hermes is highly recommended.
I would like to thank Alvin for the excellent service provided as well as the advice to configure the I2s on the DDC and my DAC.
Claude B. Belgium
WHERE TO BUY?